“Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all's right with the world”. —Ada Louise Huxtable
There’s nothing like enjoying the fresh air and sizzling sunlight of the summer. A lively stroll outside or digging in your garden is the perfect excuse to relish in the weather while also getting some light exercise. Luckily, there’s still plenty of summer weather to experience this year. But what is safe for you to do with the COVID-19 pandemic?
You can still enjoy the summer weather while protecting yourself from the virus. Below are a few ideas for safe and healthy activities for seniors to take advantage of the warm season.
5 Outdoor Activities for Seniors
From bike rides through beautiful parks and hikes around glistening lakes or ponds to spending some quiet time in your own yard or front porch, there is plenty for you to do this summer. Some safe summer activities include the following:
- Go for a walk. You don’t have to go for a long hike to experience the benefits of a walk outside. A light, 15-minute walk around your neighborhood regularly helps to promote both physical and mental health. And of course, in the summer, this also means taking in plenty of much-needed vitamin D from the sun.
- Participate in some gardening. Gardening is one of the more popular outdoor activities for seniors, and with good reason. It’s a low impact workout that has beautiful end-results. If you don’t have the space to garden at your home, look for nearby community gardens with open availability.
- Bird watching. Bird watching can be an incredibly relaxing, peaceful outdoor activity. If you’re looking for a way to unwind while connecting with nature, this is the recreational hobby for you.
- Have a picnic. This is a lovely way to enjoy the outdoors with your significant other, a good friend or just by yourself. Pack a basket with some sandwiches and your favorite snacks, grab a blanket and a new book and find a nice shady spot in a local park. Of course, remember to wear masks with your loved ones who are on the picnic with you and try to limit your exposure to people you know who have been social distancing.
- Grab your favorite local treat. Most of us have a favorite place we like stop by for a pick-me-up. Maybe yours is an ice cream cone at a local creamery, a hot brew and pastry from a coffee shop or a sandwich at a nearby restaurant. Whatever your choice, take your treat outside to enjoy. Just remember to take advantage of pick-up options, if available, and make sure you wear a mask and maintain social distancing.
Enjoy the Outdoors with Garden Plaza of Florissant
At Garden Plaza of Florissant, we’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of every resident — and that includes the benefits of outdoor activities. Spend time on our sprawling grounds with a revitalizing walk or just sitting on a bench with a good book. You can enjoy your time in the sunlight knowing that our friendly staff will take care of things like maintenance, housekeeping and meal preparation. We believe that our community is a resort for you to enjoy — you’ve earned it!
Contact our team today to learn all the ways you can enjoy a stimulating life at Garden Plaza of Florissant.