Fun games are one of the best ways to work on brain health, especially if your loved one has memory concerns. In fact, it’s believed that brain training games play a significant role in improving cognitive functions, including attention and memory. And what’s better than having fun while doing something good for your health? If you’re looking for ways to help your parent improve their brain health, keep reading for some memory boosting games they can play.
Memory Games for Seniors
- Word Puzzles. Word games like crosswords, word finds and letter jumbles can help with memory maintenance by forming and retaining connections. They also help with logical reasoning, offer vocabulary building and use both the left and right sides of the brain. Your loved one can enjoy the benefits of word games while still finding calm and relaxation.
- Concentration. Concentration is a perfect game to play with the grandkids. If you don’t have cards made specifically for the game, any deck of playing cards will work. Games like Concentration help to boost memory when played frequently.
- Puzzles. Clear out a space on the dining room table and get the whole family involved with this game. Because the process of completing a jigsaw puzzle can be relaxing for seniors, it can also help drop their blood pressure while it engages their brain. And, because it’s so calming, your loved one can use it as a form of meditation.
- Sudoku. Sudoku is a popular logic game that teaches problem solving, as well as, how to find patterns in numbers. You can find books full of these games at the bookstore or grocery store, or your parent can download a mobile game on their cellphone for easy access wherever they go.
- Chess. Chess is the ultimate memory booster game. As one of the oldest games still played, Chess has been used to sharpen the mind since ancient times. It helps with practicing strategy, planning, concentration and thinking outside the box. Chess is also great for all ages, so you may want to have your parent teach you or your children how to play.
Explore Dignified Memory Care with Garden Plaza
You want the best in memory care for your loved one, and Garden Plaza in Florissant, MO offers just that. We believe in the importance of giving seniors with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia the dignity and independence they deserve while still providing the support they need.
Garden Plaza Memory Care offers individually tailored programming, plus a multitude of amenities and services and plenty of opportunities for social interaction with other residents. This includes healthy, home-cooked meals tailored to their specific diet and meaningful, purposeful activities every day. And, you can feel confident knowing your loved one is comfortable and safe in our secure apartments in our memory care neighborhood. Learn more about how your loved one can live a vibrant life in our memory care community by contacting us today.