Transitioning into assisted living may be a difficult and sensitive decision for you and your aging parent, but it can also prove to be the best long-term move. While you may be doing everything you can to provide for your loved one, it may soon been the time when you can no longer care for an elderly parent. Senior care often requires a higher level of attention and accommodation that can be challenging to receive at home. If you are considering this route of senior care, here are five signs your parent needs assisted living.
5 Signs Your Parent Needs Assisted Living
- Increasing care needs. If their daily needs begin to grow, your aging parent may become too much for you or an at-home caregiver to manage. If you feel their needs are growing, it’s important to evaluate their Activities of Daily Life (ADLs) to affirm that assisted living is the appropriate next step. When your loved one’s day-to-day functions become challenging, it may be time to rely on the environment of an assisted living community. These facilities have the proper capacity to assist residents with their normal ADLs such as hygiene routines, getting dressed, cooking, laundry and housekeeping.
- Mobility difficulties. Unfortunately, many homes aren’t suitable for scooters, wheelchairs or other mobility aids. This could mean expensive renovations to make your loved one’s mobility easier or even possible. If going up and down the stairs in one’s own home becomes difficult, it may be time to consider a long-term move for your aging parent. An assisted living community can accommodate any disabilities or limited mobility difficulties while still providing your loved one the freedom to do what they can for themselves. These communities are designed with scooter and wheelchair access in mind to make getting around an easy process.
- Home safety concerns. One of the signs your parent needs assisted living is struggling to get around the house or dealing with health problems where safety begins to become a concern. If this resonates with you, it’s important to prioritize a living situation that maximizes your loved one’s well-being and protection. It’s not worth the risk of an accident. Assistant living facilities ensure 24-hour surveillance and precautions to keep your loved ones safe and accounted for.
- Experiencing caregiver stress. If your parent’s needs escalate, there may come a time when it’s too much for you or an at-home caregiver to handle on their own. Care demands can require a lot of you both physically and mentally as well as being time-consuming. These demands frequently result in caregiver fatigue and frustration. Before you take on more than you can handle with your aging parent, consider allowing assisted living professionals to help take on the responsibility. An assisted living community and trained staff are fully equipped to manage long-term care. Facilities like Garden Plaza of Florissant can also help alleviate the stress family members may feel after caring for their loved ones at home.
- Aggression. Unfortunately, aggression frequently appears in people with dementia. If your loved one suffers from dementia or is exhibiting aggressive behavior, it may mark the time when you can no longer care for an elderly parent. Trained assisted living professionals are prepared to properly deal with aggressive behavior and potential outbursts.
When You can No Longer Care for an Elderly Parent, Choose Garden Plaza of Florissant
If you have noticed any or all of these five signs in your loved one, it may be time to consider assisted living. With Garden Plaza of Florissant, you can rest assured that your loved one is in caring hands. We’re here to give your loved ones as much independence as possible while still assisting with daily living and healthcare as needed. Home-cooked meals are offered three times a day with careful attention to your loved one’s dietary needs. And no longer will they have to worry about housekeeping or finding transportation, as our community offers resort-style amenities. Take advantage of the assisted living care and commitment that Garden Plaza of Florissant offers, and contact our team today.