“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” — Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
We often forget the spiritual dimension of wellness when we think about our health. The truth is, spirituality can play a significant role in health and health care. As human beings, we believe that our life has meaning and purpose, and when we feel like we meet those goals, it affects us on many levels. So, how can you improve your spiritual wellness as you age?
8 Ways to Explore Your Spirituality
Spiritual health involves your values, beliefs and sense of purpose. Here are a few ways to improve your spirituality as you continue to age.
- Explore your spiritual base. Studying your spiritual core means asking yourself questions about yourself and your meaning. Who am I? What do I value? What is my purpose in life? Use these questions to direct your path for deeper thinking and feelings of life-fulfilling achievement.
- Seek deeper meanings. Have you ever prayed the Serenity Prayer? “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.” You aren’t going to be able to control everything that happens in your life. Accepting this, seeing deeper meanings and acknowledging what you’ve accomplished in life is important to your spiritual wellness.
- Express yourself. Getting your thoughts outside of your mind, whether that be on paper or verbally, can help keep your mind focused. This can be particularly helpful during long or significant days where you need to explore your thoughts and feelings. Consider starting a journal that you can reach for any time you need to express yourself.
- Take some time to travel. Traveling means taking time for yourself and exploring the world around you. Traveling to a place that brings you comfort or that you’ve always wanted to discover can give you a distraction-free space to rest and reflect. To better explore your spirituality during your travels, consider using some of your time to exercise, speak with a counselor, meditate or take part in a retreat.
- Practice yoga. Yoga is a physical activity that can help us connect spiritually. Yoga can certainly reduce physical strains and keep you fit, but the practice can be so much more if you let it. Yoga helps you go deeper into yourself, quieting your mind and cultivating your personal awareness. Through yoga practice, you can unite your body, mind, and spirit and unit with a higher power.
- Meditate. Meditating gives you a chance to shut out the stressors around you and focus on yourself for a little while. The best part: you can do this anytime, anywhere. Use your first few moments after waking up to prepare yourself for the day ahead, calm your mind before bed or take a moment in the middle of the day with a cup of herbal tea.
- Practice deep breathing. Deep breathing can be a powerful way to focus your mind. When you pay attention to your breathing, you build a greater awareness of your mind, how your body feels, the way your body works and how you react to changes in your body. Deep breathing, especially in conjunction with yoga and meditation, can help you grow your spiritual well-being.
- Participate in creativity. Another way to express yourself and connect with your spiritual side is through creative activity. This can be through music, painting, drawing, writing or photography - the world is your canvas! Creative activities like these allow your imagination to run wild, can calm your mind and can serve as your spiritual practice that connects you to a higher power.
Enjoy Spirituality and Health at Garden Plaza of Florissant
At Garden Plaza of Florissant, we understand the deep connection between spirituality and your overall health. That’s why we offer a multitude of amenities and activities to help you explore your spiritual side. Grab a cup of tea and sit by one of the fireplaces while you meditate. Pamper yourself in our hair salon and barbershop. Peruse the books in our library to learn something new to expand your mind, or participate in one of our non-denominational worship services and Bible studies. We also have an activities calendar that changes each month with events like Morning Inspiration, Communion and Coloring Therapy for you to more deeply explore your spiritual health.
To learn more about how Garden Plaza encourages spirituality and health, contact our team.