The frigid temperatures outside may have you wanting to bundle up under a blanket with a book or movie. While that may be cozy for a day or two, it can quickly get old, especially knowing there are several more months of cold weather ahead of you. But your days indoors don’t have to be dull and inactive, especially when there is a plethora of indoor activities to enjoy!
Hobbies for Seniors at Home this Winter
Even though you can’t spend much time outside, there are activities that can keep you active and stimulate your mind. Below are a few ideas for indoor hobbies to occupy your time:
- Try New Recipes. Now is the perfect time to experiment with something new. Whether it’s a recipe you’ve had put away for a while or something recent that’s sparked your interest, the cold weather is the ideal excuse to turn up the heat in the kitchen. If you don’t have anything in mind, start with these 20 Winter Warmer Recipes from BBC GoodFood.
- Get Some Exercise. Even during the winter, you can still participate in physical fitness indoors. Whether you find an online aerobics class to participate in or you just want to lift some hand weights, it’s important to find something that you enjoy to help keep you moving.
- Expand Your Mind with an Online Learning Course. Why not use some of your indoor time to learn something new? Coursera offers almost 4,000 free courses from more than 200 universities and companies — all of which can be accessed from the comfort of your couch! All you have to do is find a subject that interests you and start learning.
- Explore Your Creative Side. Don’t be afraid to pick up a paintbrush or some charcoal and let your creativity flow. If you practice one form of art regularly, use this opportunity to try a new medium. Whatever your choice, art is a wonderful way to express yourself in any season.
- Go on an Adventure in a Book. Explore distant lands, make new friends and learn something new, all with never leaving your home. Reading is a perfect way to keep your brain engaged, whether it’s through fiction, biographies or your local newspaper. If you want a way to make this a social experience, start a virtual book club where you can meet with family and friends every month or even every week.
- Grow Your Green Thumb with an Indoor Garden. While you can’t dig in the dirt outside, you can still keep your plants thriving during the winter. Assemble seeds, soil, pots and any additional supplies at your local home improvement store or nursery. Soon you’ll be able to enjoy a little bit of green in a world of white.
Enjoy a Variety of Indoor Hobbies and Activities at Garden Plaza
No matter the season, hobbies and activities can help contribute to healthy aging. That’s why Garden Plaza offers a variety of daily activities and amenities to keep your mind engaged all year long. Relax with coloring therapy, get your blood pumping during Exercise with Carmen or join in games like Family Feud or Uno. Our calendar is constantly changing, so there’s always something to look forward to in every season.
Contact us today to see how exciting and rewarding life can be in your golden years.