A dementia diagnosis can be an intimidating time for you and your loved one. Wanting to care for them personally is understanding and a commendable task, but there may come a time when they need professional care.
Most occurrences of memory loss are progressive. While you may be happy to care for your loved one at first, they will likely need long-term care as time goes on. So, it’s imperative to choose a memory care facility that works for both your loved one and you.
What is Memory Care?
Memory care — whether as a stand-alone facility or part of a larger senior living community — is designed to be a safe, controlled environment for those with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. It provides daily routines to ease stress, which can often exacerbate confusion.
Trained employees are always available to assist with daily care tasks, as well as, any unique situations that may arise. Memory communities also are equipped with additional security measures, as those with dementia are prone to wander.
Memory Care vs Assisted Living
While both types of communities have similar staff, memory care offers specially trained employees who understand the specific ins and outs of dementia and memory loss. Assisted living also tends to offer a wide variety of calendar of activities, while memory care focuses on routine activities that keep residents stay both calm and stimulated. Memory care also offers specialized services that are specifically tailored for those with dementia.
How to Find a Memory Care Facility for Your Loved One
Searching for the right memory care community for your loved one can be an overwhelming feeling. You want the best care for them, and you want them to feel dignified at the same time. If you’re beginning your search for the ideal memory community for your loved one, here are a few tips.
- Start your search online. Use Google to run a search for “memory care” and your city name. You should receive a search result for the state department that handles the licensing for memory care, and they will provide a list of licensed communities.
- Search for something near you. Chances are you won’t to drive too far to visit your loved one regularly. Try searching for “memory care near me” to narrow down your options.
- Schedule a visit if possible. It’s hard to gage the quality of a memory care community without experiencing it first-hand. If you can, ask to schedule a visit so you can see the building and grounds for yourself.
- Know what to look for. Ask if the staff has specific memory care training. Inquire about the size of the staff and how many are on each shift. Find out how they typically handle any difficult behaviors that come with advanced dementia. Ask about safety measures — those diagnosed with dementia are prone to wander, so security in in a memory care facility is vital. Finances are important as well, so ask about their pricing structure and any fees that may incur.
- Go with your gut. If you narrow it down to more than one community, choose the one that feels right to you. The one that feels right to you will be the right choice.
Why You Should Choose Garden Plaza of Florissant for Memory Care
At Garden Plaza of Florissant, we believe environment matters when it comes to your loved one’s wellbeing. That’s why we have a unique, purposeful memory care environment in a secure, cozy neighborhood of apartments designed to help residents thrive. Our trained and dedicated team is there around the clock to support your loved one with both their physical and cognitive needs.
Engaging activities, gourmet meals, support groups and fitness programs are offered daily to target every need. And they never have to worry about daily tasks like housekeeping or maintenance, as our team takes care of those needs. We also provide support for families as they navigate the waters of memory loss and dementia.
Garden Plaza of Florissant believes in providing the level of care that your loved one needs, so they can maintain a strong sense of dignity as their dementia progresses. To best deliver that, we break down available care into levels, so your loved one can live their best life.
Contact Garden Plaza Today to Learn More about Memory Care in Florissant, MO
If your loved one is struggling with Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia, we offer safe, comfortable and stimulating memory care in a town that your loved one knows and loves. Our experienced team can offer you peace of mind as we take care of your loved one as if they were part of our own family.
Contact our team today to see how your loved one can live a fulfilling lifestyle with Garden Plaza of Florissant.