If your parent is considering moving into a senior living community, you may have some concerns and questions. Are senior living communities safe? What happens if there’s an incident? If your mother or father falls, how will they handle it and how quickly?
Fortunately, you can rest easy about your parent’s safety and well-being. Senior living communities are some of the safest places for your parent, and here are six reasons why.
6 Reasons Why Senior Living Communities are Safe
- Social interaction. Having social interactions may not seem like a contributing factor to safe senior living, but it directly affects your parent’s loneliness, especially if they don’t have nearby family. Having peers around for social time helps to keep isolation at bay, which staves off depression and high blood pressure.
- Mental stimulation. Senior living communities offer a variety of activities and events that create an atmosphere of learning throughout the golden years. At Garden Plaza of Florissant, we have a constantly evolving activities calendar with activities like trivia and Discuss & Recall.
- Lower risk of falls. If your parent is still living at home, you may start to worry about them falling. This is a legitimate concern, as falls are the leading cause of injuries for seniors. Senior living communities are designed with safety in mind, including ramps, flat thresholds and hand railings in common areas. Apartments also generally have safety features like raised toilets and grab bars to prevent falls.
- Disaster preparedness. Older adults who live on their own may have difficulty preparing for disasters, as they may struggle staying up to date with their own smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers. Senior living communities not only take care of all of those things for your parent, but they also put disaster preparedness plans in place to help keep them safe in an emergency.
- 24/7 help. Independent and assisted living communities provide medical alert systems, so staff are quickly made aware of any falls or injuries. With these types of systems built in, you won’t have to worry about your parent falling and waiting for help for hours on end.
- Help with daily living. As your parent ages, they will likely require help with daily activities. Even if they live with you, it will be difficult for you to assist them every moment they need it. Senior living communities can help with every step along the way, from medication management to bathing.
Experience Safe Senior Living with Garden Plaza of Florissant
At Garden Plaza of Florissant, nothing is as important as your loved one’s safety. That’s why we pride ourselves on providing all the safety features and amenities they’ll need in their golden years. Independent living residents can enjoy their freedom while still receiving 24-hour emergency response and maintenance-free living. Assisted living residents can also take advantage of assistance with daily activities.
To learn more about how Garden Plaza of Florissant works to keep your loved ones safe, contact our team today.